Hero: A person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities – or someone who supports local charities in the McHenry County Human Race.
The Human Race is a unique hero-themed 5K walk/run that allows race participants to designate the proceeds of their race fee and any fundraising they do to a participating charity.
In its first eight years, more than $500,000 was collected for local charities.
So far, more than 60 charities already have signed up to participate in the April 28 race.
Nonprofit and network groups
• Grant Writing Workshop: Basics to Advanced Development – Participants will learn to draft winning grant proposals, design programs based on a logic model and polish existing skills.
• Grant Compliance – This workshop will focus on the fundamental rules of the grant-seeking process.
• FrameWorks: Reframing Health and Human Services – Participants will get a hands-on exploration of strategic, evidence-based ways to share their organization’s story and accomplishments.
• Fund Development Network – Develop skills and knowledge, gain guidance and insight, support each other and grow professionally with this group.
• Volunteer Management Network – Connect and share skills, ask questions, give advice and learn about new tools and resources.
• First Friday Focus – Will key on finding grant funding with an introduction to finding grants and learning to use the Volunteer Center McHenry County Foundation Center online directory and grantspace.
Help strengthen your community through volunteerism.
Volunteering can be ongoing, a short-term project or a one-time task you sign up to help with when you have time. You can volunteer alone or with a group.
There are about 150 volunteer and donation needs listed every day on www.volunteercentermchenrycounty.org.
If you need help finding a volunteer placement or would like information about helping locally, call Volunteer Center McHenry County at 815-344-4483.