Two historic structures are scheduled for plaquing in the coming weeks.
The McHenry County Historical Society’s Historic Sites Committee will plaque the Schmitt Chapel site at 1 p.m. Oct. 19 at 2500 N. Chapel Hill Road. Frederich Schmitt built the chapel in 1843, about a mile south of Johnsburg on what originally was Pistakee Bay Road.
While on the journey from Germany, the ship that carried Schmitt encountered a severe storm. Fearing for his life, Schmitt promised if he survived the voyage, he would build a chapel.
The chapel is part of the 99-acre Chapel Hill Country Club, owned by village since 2017. After two years of waiting for a new McHenry County Historic Preservation Commission to be reconstituted, the 1886 Ford School will be landmarked by the county at a special ceremony at 6 p.m. Oct. 23.
The restored, village-owned one-room school was relocated in 2012 to 304 Ramble Road.
The program begins with an old-fashioned school lesson, courtesy of retired educator Karen Parks, followed by a summary of the school’s history by one of its chief preservation proponents, Bob Spooner.
The McHenry County Historic Preservation Commission recommended in July that the site be designed a local landmark. The County Board concurred on Aug. 20.
• Kurt Begalka is administrator of the McHenry County Historical Society & Museum. He may be reached at email@example.com.